Saturday, March 7, 2009

Meet Jonny

Name: Jonathan "Jonny Wong" Wong Loi Sing

Occupation: Preaching Jesus

Hobbies: Surf, skate, snowboarding, soccer, drums, and hi-fives

Music: Haste the Day, Lupe Fiasco, and Jonezetta

Studies: Evangelism and Discipleship at Moody Bible-Graduation in Dec 2009!

What gets me pumped: Christian communal living

Quick testimony: I grew up in the Caribbean and I've heard about Jesus all my life. I wasn't that bad of a kid. Yea, I stole some stuff and fought a lot, but nothing that would put me in jail right? Nah! My anger and rebellion had offended my Creator and for that I was eternally doomed to be separated from Him. I found out something really cool though; Jesus had died for my sins. I didn't have to pay for what I've done. I was about 5 when I confessed my sins before God (and my mom). Ever since then it's been a crazy adventure.

God made me super competitive and I really wanted to be the best at something. I always thought that the military would be a great route to go, but in 2005 God directed me to study at Moody Bible Institute. There I realized that it is far easier to take someone's physical life than to show them true eternal life in Jesus. It is only recently that I have realized why God has given me the drive and aggression (and love!) that I have: and that's to bring Jesus to those in rebellion against God.

I use skate, surf, and soccer to get into the culture and engage individuals. It is in these contexts that I have the biggest opportunity to share Jesus verbally and through insane physical demonstration (yea, I can run 800 meters in 2minutes flat).

I plan to graduate from Moody in Dec of 2009 and teach snowboarding. I'm looking for a team to join me in intentional living as we reach out to a culture that want's nothing to do with God. So if you want to snowboard and preach Jesus from Jan-April 2009 holla at your boy.

After that I want to plant churches in Indonesia or the Basque Country (or wherever).

No one has more fun than I do. Guaranteed...

For example:

I am on a 7 month voyage that has taken me through Dublin(Ireland), Malaga(Spain) Madrid, Lausanne(Switzerland), Donostia(Basque Country), Zarautz, Santander (Spain)...and then to South Africa in April.

I am learning how the Church is being used globally in multi-cultural settings and hope to receive further guidance from God for my life. This is a life of trust and faith that God will provide for my daily needs. I need Him in a new, real way when it comes to daily life.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aye Jonny =)

It's been a while since we talked, really. Today was absolutely gorgeous. Almost 70's (tommorow it'll reach it... finally)
Anyway, I longboarded for the first time outside. It was... sick
I love it. Simple.
It's so easy, even though a few times I freaked out and wobbled a bit.
But overall, it was awesome. Can't wait for tommorow to do it some more =)
Emily got in on it too, went pretty far and she's good.
Most of the Cleveland's are good too, Jeremy, Emily, and even the Dad. (he used to go from the bridge over I-80 down to the tracks on skateboards when he was younger)
Pretty much what I'm saying is... can't wait for you to get back. Hope everything's going awesome. And longboarding is ganna be awesome.

=) cheer

Zac Wong.

April said...

praying for you, Jonathan. so proud of you. love your updates. miss you. looking forward to hearing more of what God is teaching you.