Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Interview: Rob McCarty



Q: Tell us a little bit about who you are and how surfing has been a part of your life.
A: My name is Rob McCarty, I attend Point Loma Nazarene University, I am 19 and I have been surfing for 5 years. I started surfing because it looked fun while I was doing junior lifeguard training

Q: Have you ever been on a surf missions trip? If so where to and what was the format?
A: I went once to Mexico for a surf/serve trip with my school. It was a blast. We went to an orphanage and then we camped at a nice surf spot called k58. It was great meeting other surfers with a passion to serve the Lord

Q: What were some elements that you felt worked really well?
A: I thought the relationship development worked real well. I also felt the leadership was important especially for a foreign country

Q: How would you rate the follow-up or accountability?
A: I would rate it a 9 because it was already part of a club that met once a week

Q: Where there any things that don't work or should never be repeated
A: I really try and not make surfing too serious. It is a blessing because I am lucky to even be close to an ocean. I can’t take it for granted. I also pray to be humble because it is very easy to get arrogant

Q: Do you have any stories of lives being brought to Christ in a surfing context?
A: Yes some of my friends came to Christ through surfing. I personally worked at a youth camp that was also a surf camp and some kids accepted Christ which was really inspirational and made me feel like I actually was acting in Gods will

Q: How can we surf incarnationally (manifesting God through action/activity)?
A: God has blessed us all with talents. It takes one to find that talent under God’s grace. For me I love to surf but it’s not my life. God has me here for different purposes. I feel that surfing is just one way that God can meet me in a natural setting. Surfing along with other activities should just be other ways to praise God.

No comments: