Monday, February 2, 2009

Eliel: big timing youth

Malaga, Spain: January 18th.

Launched a couple emails before I jetted over to Spain from Ireland. My bags didn't make it, but God hooked me up with something better. Without confirmation or knowing much flight information Eliel stepped into my life. He was waiting at the airport for me, a facebook friend of a friend of a friend. For the next week, Eliel gave me contacts and an inside look to what it means to be a Christ follower in southern Spain.

Eliel at only 15 years of age acted and served like someone far older. His soft spoken words brimmed with excitement at what God is doing in Malaga. Pride and a positive sense of ownership of his church prompted Eliel to introduce me to Edgar, Christian, and Emmanuel. It was with these 3 Christ followers that I stayed for a week. Eliel showed me the church building and helped me meet other local Christ followers.

God has given Eliel great talent with media and video in particular. Eliel serves with a local ministry that produces Christian media for distribution.

Sure, Eliel could not spend every day with me, but with the connections that he had he was able to give me a great foundation for learning about what God was up to in Malaga. His unique friends and contacts made him an invaluable asset as I moved between groups of friends.

I've never heard of anyone place his identity so readily in the church. He couldn't wait to introduce me his friends. I think back to how many youth groups in the US have discontented youth who think the meetings are lame. Eliel brings the amp by pouring out his gifts and making the group something that he takes pride in.

He's not a pastor and he has no fancy degrees, but Eliel has chosen to join the harvest with what he's been given. It starts with a servant heart and there is no age requirement for that!

No comments: