Sunday, January 25, 2009

Patrick: a servant heart

Patrick Devitt and family put me up while I was in Dublin. I spent the 14-18th with the Devitt family and learned a lot of what it means to be a Christ follower in Ireland.

Uncle Patrick showed me the importance of long-term support for loved ones who don't have a personal relationship with Christ. Patrick is juggling responsibilities between Church/family in a very Biblical manner and I am impressed with his dual role. Patrick serves his family.

I arrived early in the week and was able to see the church in its daily expression. We had a prayer meeting at the house of a church member ill with a brain tumor. Uncle Patty and I helped Peiter and his family with their move out of their apartment. It was a blessing to serve in such a simple capacity. Patrick serves individuals.

The baptist church that Patrick is a member of has tremendous diversity. Nigeria, the Philippians, and Ireland each have a large share the group make-up. They meet at a local school and Patrick wakes up early to turn the heat on so that the group doesn't have to suffer. Patrick serves the Body.

1 comment:

marleykeeper said...

I thank God for Patrick's heart, his willingness to serve selflessly, and for taking care of the stranger.