Friday, May 29, 2009

just go or invitation?

Here's a tough situation that is unravelling at the moment: I sent the following to a few of my mentors and maybe you could wrestle through these issues and pray for me at the same time.


I was recently talking with my father about my situation in Jeffreys Bay, South Africa. I am looking to serve with my gifts of evangelism and discipleship, but there haven't been any open doors yet. My father talked about how there needs to be an invitation from a host ministry. I feel that I've been forcing myself on people as I have come along (here in South Africa). I have never thought about this before and I always thought that the main emphasis was on the willingness to go (and make disciples). I have sacrificed so much and made myself so available and now it seems like no one really wants me. Sounds like a sob story, but I have put myself in a place where I must trust God. I feel like I have always been struggling for a balance between faith and work. Like I can get all of these appointments lined up before I set foot in Africa and it's all smooth sailing. Or I can just go and look to join in where God is working. I don't know about this whole missions trip thing. I know I have to make disciples, is it possible to go to the wrong spot? My intentions are blameless so why doesn't God use me? I'm a highly trained, completely available worker....ready to join the harvest; but it looks like my services aren't needed. That can't be right. Looking for a little help in these areas. Thanks so much for all of your support.

1 comment:

Sue Standlee said...

I'm thinking that God wants humility from you. It's tough when a person is as gifted as you are, but God wants the humble. think about it. dear Jonny.