Monday, June 1, 2009

Jeffreys Bay

Got the sweet hook ups- The most epic Saturday of my life took place this past weekend. I was prayed up and encouraged by the messages from all of ya guys out there. Early Saturday morning I started a session of prayer and an overview of Acts then headed to find what God was doing in Jeffreys Bay. What I found still stuns me. Over the course of the day I ran into a vibrant church that hosts dozens of ministries in the area, two surf discipleship schools, a bible school, two leadership training schools, soccer outreach, door-to-door/simple church ministry, a Christian camp, worship practice, a community of believers, and an invitation to come alongside and learn more! I had been running around town tracking down my leads and returned to the hostel to find that several people had come by looking for me. I called a number that someone had left at the desk and was told to sit tight. “We’re coming for you”. Strange, I had heard that months ago in Dublin when it looked like I was all alone. God never bails.

So I found myself hanging out with the guys from Leadership Experience Program (LXP). They invited me into the house and I am surrounded by a valiant effort to make disciples of young students from all across Africa. There are currently 13 students and they have a regular week that looks like a hardcore VBS schedule that is capable of blowing out any qualified minister…and they do it for 9 months. Heavy.
I found a lot of haters. A lot of nay-sayers. Bad vibes. Sometimes believers don’t get a long and we’re not called to be best friends with everyone. Paul himself talked about how he wanted to go where the gospel has yet to be preached, so as not to interfere with other ministers. I think I’m beginning to see what he means.

Killer waves. Freaking insane. The most perfect wave I’ve ever seen in my life. I’ve only had a chance to get in the water twice, but it makes me that happiest guy on the planet when I’m paddling out. I’ve met many friends in the water (even in just two sessions) and have had a chance to preach Jesus a couple times. Once I was speaking with a youth about the importance of knowing the Father through the Son, when an older local surfer paddled past. He ripped into me telling me to keep “that religion” to myself and that I had better know my place in the lineup. I wasn’t even speaking to him and he told me to be quiet!

There are some things that I’ve gotta wrestle through, but I know that with prayer and supplication God will show me the truth. I am lifted in spirit and know that God is truly my Deliverer.

2 comments:

emilyb said...

so glad to hear! how much longer are you in africa? are you still planning to go to indonesia soon?

Jonny Wong said...

yea, billy, i'm in africa til wednesday. will be in indo for the rest of the summer