Saturday, June 13, 2009

Roxanne Salida

Featured cool kids profile: Roxanne Salida.

I was chilling in this park thinking about what on earth I was going to do in Jeffrey's Bay. I was freaking out about getting in contact with some ministry and just praying through these things on a bench overlooking the best right hand wave in the world (it didn't help the situation). All of a sudden I turned around to find a soul-patch wielding pastor telling me about what it's like to do ministry. I'm like, "Pastor Murray, where the heck did you come from?" He didn't have to answer, I knew he was put their by God.

I was invited to go to Face to Face church and had spent an afternoon at the pastor's house to talk about church. It was in these interactions that I met Wendy. This believer is actively involved in the church and even offered to let me stay at her place while she went on holidays (excessive answer to prayer has been a trade-mark of God on this voyage). Wendy invited me to her birthday/going away party and it was there that I met a ton of Face to Facers and these two crazy sisters Roxanne and Simone.

These two sisters have something special between them. I don't know if their powers combine into some strong voodoo or something, but they are bent on being the most open people in the world. I spoke with them at the party and also connected with a dude named Vaughn. The four of us shared what God has been doing in our lives and over the course of the next 2 weeks I was adopted into one of the most vibrant Christian communities I had ever seen. It was highlighted by a dinner party that drew such honored guests as the YWAM 3 month students. I met with believers through the events that Roxanne hosted and had a chance to hear (and join) the praise given to our Father what he is doing in the lives of students from Canada, the US, Madagascar, and everywhere in between.

I guess the thing that hits me the hardest is how Roxanne seemed to re-prioritize everything. She thinks of others before herself and is honestly concerned with the well-being of others. She makes people feel special and is a fantastic listener. The grace of God is way definitely upon this girl!

So often we have our own lives and don't have time for some crazy guy with a Mohawk and an odd gotee. So often we meet some guy and see where we can fit him/her in. Roxanne dropped her life and then rebuilt it to include me as a special guest (even if it was for 2 weeks). Yea, we're from America. We're busy. But people can be impacted and brought closer to God.....even if they're with us for a short time.

No comments: